Leonard Steel Limited are an established structural steel company based in Monaghan with over 40 years experience detailing, fabricating and erecting steel in projects up to 2000 tonne. An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Contracts Manager to join us and work on complex projects nationwide. In the short term, the majority of current projects are Dublin & Belfast based.
The suitable applicant will be responsible for the following:
- Overseeing 2/3 projects concurrently
- Management and supervision of site foremen, steel erectors and other subcontractors
- Management of subcontractor selection and on site progress
- Strict adherence to the highest levels of Quality and Health & Safety.
- Ensuring that Management are kept updated with site progress and commercial issues
- Proactively assess, review and mitigate commercial and contractual risks
- Ensure that a robust system of site records for all labour, plant, materials, staff, etc are kept as support for cost substantiation in the event of change and or delays to the contract works.
- Maintain accurate records and documentation for variations and additions on a monthly basis in an efficient and timely manner and in accordance with the contract.
- Assist in the preparation of project final accounts
- Actively participate in site project meetings and ensure that all commercial matters are discussed and problems investigated and resolved
Applicants will be required to demonstrate:
- Minimum of 5 year’s site experience working with structural steel
- Excellent written and verbal communication with the ability to communicate with all internal and external partners
- Driven and dynamic approach with long term career development focus
- Knowledge of construction software such as StrucCad, Strumis, AutoCAD or Tekla will be an advantage
- Previous Contracts Management experience preferably for a steelwork fabricator and erector
- Experience in a wide variety of contracts, in particular high rise in the industrial & commercial sector
- The ability to prioritise multiple concurrent projects under stringent time, quality and budgetary constraints
- Ability to read and understand technical specifications and drawings
- Detailed working knowledge and experience in technical elements of structural steel fabrication and erection
- Knowledge of ISO 9001, ISO 18001 & CE Marking
- A conscientious and a self-disciplined approach
- Competent working knowledge of Word, Outlook and excellent Excel skills
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. A van will be included with the package.
Roles & Responsibilities
Overall responsibility in ensuring projects are managed on an efficient and proactive basis, and completed to a very high standard and within budget. Attention to detail, excellent communications and customer satisfaction must be a high priority throughout.
- Working with the Drawing Office team for pricing of projects & continuous costing throughout such as changes/delays/variations etc.
- Responsible along with the Drawing Office Manager for planning of projects such as phasing, erection methods, timescales, plant & man power needed.
- Attending weekly production meetings to liaise with the Production and the Drawing Office team in-house.
- Attending pre-award& pre-start meetings.
- Constant communication with the drawing office with RFIs and site surveys required.
- Recruit, manage and control directly employed site teams & multiple sub contractor erection & decking teams. Recruiting additional site operatives & appointing sub contractor labour.
- Control and record all deliveries for steel, materials, oil & gas deliveries including abnormal load notifications.
- Control of all plant certification & maintenance on site.
- Control and checking of all training cards for site operatives, organising renewal cards & training where necessary.
- Control of all site equipment & tools, organising repairs, source & order new or specialised site equipment.
- Ensure certification is on site for all lifting equipment such as lifting eyes, slings and shackles.
- Ensuring documentation is on site for PAT testing of electrical equipment.
- Hiring of all specialised plant.
- Preparation of RAMS, lift plans in conjunction with appointed persons, COSHH assessments and site files for all projects. Reporting progress to company directors and clients.
- Provide & deliver weekly toolbox talks. Attend weekly site project & white board meetings.
- Daily liaising with site teams, on site co-ordination and site progress.
- Providing fast, efficient solutions to site problems to avoid any delays and costings.
- Implement systems to improve progress and efficiency and reduce project duration.
- Conduct regular quality audits to ensure that work is progressing per the specifications and initiate corrective actions.
- Maintain site folder including on site quality plan, Health & Safety documentation etc
- Maintain site diary – recording delays caused by client interruptions etc.
- Meet Auditor on site to facilitate review of ISO 9001, ISO 18001 & CE Marking
More about Leonard Steel Limited
We’re located on the outskirts of Monaghan Town, 15 miles from the Ballygawley Roundabout / M1 & 55 miles from Belfast. We’re a similar distance from Dublin with good road infrastructures. We’re established since 1976 and some of our work can be seen on this website.
We were one of the first Structural Steel companies in Ireland to achieve CE marking Execution Class 4 in 2014, closely followed by ISO 9001 and more recently ISO 18001. There can be no doubt that we are committed to quality in every area.
We’re currently working on the iconic Towers in the Bolands Quay development. Another one of our recent high-profile projects was 13-17 Dawson Street, Dublin. It was a 1200 tonne job and it’s high profile because it’s the most expensive office space in the centre of Dublin. One of our smaller projects is the cradle used to clean and maintain the iconic “Spire” on O’Connell Street, Dublin. We’ve also worked and are working on many healthcare, education, commercial and industrial projects throughout Ireland & the UK with work recently despatched to San Francisco.
Our team consists of around 25 long serving, skilled and diligent people who enjoy a challenge and we work with subcontractors with the same high standards. Our team definitely are our greatest asset.